Spring fever is upon us!
The warm weather (and bathing suit season) is almost here and many of you are anxious to get outside and get moving. I love that, but a sharp increase in your exercise program could do more harm that good.
- Ramp up slowly over several weeks. This includes both the length, frequency and intensity of each workout session.
- Include plenty of stretching.
- I encourage dynamic (movement based) stretching before your workout such as walking lunges. After your workout, I encourage foam rolling and static stretching where you hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds.
- Ignore peer pressure. Training with a group (i.e, running club, fitness classes, crossfit, etc.) is a great way to stay motivated and accountable; however, it’s important to go at your own pace and listen to what your own body is telling you.
- Use cross-training to minimize the chance of injury and keep things interesting. Pools will be opening soon, and swimming is always a joint-friendly way to mix things up.
- Rest for a few days if something starts to hurt. If the pain does not subside, see a doctor to evaluate the situation.