If you’ve never been to physical therapy before, the process can seem a little mysterious, but the first appointment actually requires very little prepartion.
What to bring to your first physical therapy appointment:
- Prescription – Unless you have Medicare, you don’t need a prescription for the first 30 days of treatment. However, if you already have a script, then certainly bring it along.
- Clothing – If you are coming straight from work/school, then you should bring gym clothes to change into at the clinic. If your pain is in the lower body, then you should wear shorts.
- Paperwork – To save time, we will email you paperwork before your appointment, but if you forget or don’t use email, then we have plenty of copies in the clinic to fill out before your initial evaluation.
- Insurance Card – We will need a copy of the front and back of your card to ensure proper billing.
- MRI/X-Ray – If you have had imaging done, bring any results to your appointment.
- Co-Pay – We will go over your insurance benefits with you before the first visit. We accept cash, check or credit card to cover your portion at the time of each visit.
- Determination – Most of all, bring a positive attitude and determination! We know that pain can wear you down physically and emotionally, but physical therapy is YOUR time so get the most out of every minute.
Did I forget anything?
If you have ever been to PT, please leave comments to help others!