What is Paleo? Well, I’m about to find out….
The Back Story
I’ve been into nutrition and exercise for as long as I can remember, but things finally “clicked” about ten years ago. I simply went back to basics — stopped eating when I was full, limited processed foods (things in bags and boxes), began running and lost 15 lbs for good. NO DIETING and here’s why:
Why I’ve Blacklisted Diets
- They are extreme! Moderation is my sweet spot in life and diets are extreme — people walk around drinking green sludge and then go back to a burger and fries. What’s the point.
- They say certain foods are “bad” or evil. I don’t believe that.
- They keep life from being fun and spontaneous
- They are complicated with rules a mile long
- They usually don’t work long-term
So Why am I Doing Paleo for 30 Days
- Better Health! I’m not trying to lose weight, but I would like to feel better. I’ve struggled with “IBS” (whatever that is) and other autoimmune issues (like psoriasis and more) for a long time. I’ve felt particularly crappy since having my 2nd baby two years ago, so I would love to see if a diet focused on reducing inflammation can actually help me.
- I’ve had a really clean diet for a long time, but I’ve never tried getting rid of sugar. It’s a challenge I’ve always wanted to face.
- To show support for one of my best friends who is struggling with weight. She just started Paleo, and I’d like to be there in the trenches with her (Keep an eye out for some guest blogs)
- I noticed most of the Crossfit gyms endorse Paleo
- We want of offer our patients more nutritional support, and I realize that many people need a program to get started. I’m committed to trying anything that I would ever recommend to someone.
What’s the Plan?
I’m going to commit to the Paleo Diet for 30 days!! Notice I’ve timed it to end the day before Halloween – ha!
Can eat: lean meat, vegees, fruit, nuts, eggs, olive or coconut oil
Can’t eat: Dairy, Cereals, Grains, Legumes, Processed Foods, or Sugar : (
My best friend and my sister Melissa; Hubby is out of the picture because he needs all the carbs he can get to fuel all that marathon training.
Wish me luck, and I’ll keep you posted on my progress!
Have any of you tried Paleo??
What are some great recipes to get me started?